Our History


For more than eighty years, spanning three generations, the Wagner family has owned and operated a grocery store in Minster, Ohio. This community-oriented business was founded on two very basic principles - excellent customer service and quality products.

 

1922

beer

1922
The tradition of excellence began in 1922, when A. J. Wagner opened his first store at 91 W. Fourth St. (a portion of present Minster Bank site). During the early years, only groceries were sold. Meat and produce items were not part of the inventory.


1932

1932
A.J. Wagner added a 1500 square-foot meat department.


1934

1934
Wagner’s moved to a new location at 40 W. Fourth Street., which had previously housed the Knights of Columbus organization. In that same year, produce was added to the line of groceries and meats.


1946
Wally Wagner Sr. came home from the armed services and joined his father, AJ., in the growing business. In 1952 another 1200 square feet were added, allowing the grocery department to expand.


1979

1979_01

1979
Wagner’s moved to it’s current location on 257 E. Fourth Street. The move more than tripled the stores size to 7,500 square feet. The change also allowed the addition of the very popular deli and bakery departments.


1986

fish

1986
The store was remodeled and an additional 5,000 square feet were added. Each department was expanded, with a special emphasis on the deli. A fresh seafood department was also introduced.


1990

1990
The store was again remodeled and expanded by another 8,000 square feet. All departments were enlarged, including the deli, where hot, take-home foods were added.


1997
The largest expansion to date was undergone with an additional 12,000 square feet. Dry cleaning, a Minster Bank branch, and Accents on Main Gift Shop joined the array of services.

Under the management of third-generation owner, Wally Wagner, Jr., Wagner’s IGA boast a full-service grocery store comprising 32,500 square feet. The principles of providing consistently excellent customer service and quality products continue to be the mission of this fine store.


2003
rt Loramie, Ohio. The new location is a 8,900 sq. ft. market that offers a full line of groceries, dairy, and frozen foods, a large hot deli, fresh meat and produce. It also includes a Subway with a sit down area.


2007
The Minster location under goes an extensive remodel that expands the produce department specialty cheeses, beer, and wine.